9.14.2009

nutrition

Why is it that baking always seems to cure a glum mood? Was feeling blue this afternoon due to a lot of built-up homework and a botched bike ride (ouch, ankle), and instead of tackling my reading for Deviant Subcultures, I made muffin squares*. There isn't a grocery store within walking distance, so I had to get creative--bought four raw eggs from the kitchen in the Retreat and gluten-free baking mix at House of Nutrition (which, it turns out, sells more than protein powder and homeopathic remedies with long, inscrutable names). We don't have vanilla at the house, so I subbed soy for regular milk, then added almonds and apricots and walnuts. The verdict? A little dry, as gluten-free things tend to be--but overall, satisfying.  



* The recipe was for muffins, but muffin tins are another thing we don't have, so I spread the mixture out thickly in a baking pan. Chomp.

No comments: