8.14.2008

where are your mugs with the gnomes on them?

HOME is now a little pink weirdo with potted plants on the porch, bamboo in the bathroom, angel sculptures and abalone shells in the kitchen--and our oddball cleans up so nice. Nora and I have been working working working and the place is finally starting to shape up, clear out. Now that you can finally see the floors and open the refrigerator, it's looking good. It would have probably taken less time to unpack if we didn't keep getting sidetracked by all of our bizarre decorating ideas. ("Would you mind if I put my Pillsbury Doughman sculpture on the windowsill? Let's arrange that incense on the fireplace. Shall I hang my Native American clay platter above the stove?") Nora had to convince me to not deal with setting up my coffee maker the first night we moved in. It was two in the morning and I stood in my bike shorts, Peet's in hand, holding the directions upside-down. I crawled into bed; we went to the neighborhood bakery for bran muffins and caffeine in the morning instead.

In the afternoon we sat in our shorts on the back porch and planted flowers. I am not used to this warmth! It is a whole new San Francisco out here. We set them up on a ledge so that they receive more sun. Hopefully, there will be no wind.



At the end of the day we made pizzas with raw dough. We cooked them in our cutty gas oven that you have to light with a match. Afterwards Ghazy came over with a friend. We sat in the living room on a jumbled assortment of chairs.

"Yo, I found a rocking chair on Castro street. And I copped it."



You should have seen the kitchen a day ago. So many boxes--getting through it was like jumping hurdles.



Now, it is perhaps the strangest room in the house.





Breakfast.



I built this dresser myself! Well, a handyman built it, but I selected the knobs. They are all different, with some Ikea ones mixed in. Is it the weirdest thing you've ever seen? The handyman thought I was insane.

"Aren't they supposed to match?" he asked.

"No," I said. "I have weird taste."




Figuring out where to put my favorite postcard was an important task.



So is hanging out in the laundry room.



The garden: it's a jungle out there...



There is a Walgreens only a block away! Must not blow whole paycheck.

If you go out the back entrance, there is an alleyway. Across the street:

No comments: